Unlocking a Novatel Merlin U530 under Linux

Or another reason why I am glad that I don't use 3 anymore.

I should have posted this some time ago, but forgot and so it has been sitting in my Drivel drafts folder for a bit.

You might want to try these instructions under windows too, if you get a dud unlock. Just use another terminal emulator instead of minicom.

Skip the history and read how to unlock it

I recently switched from 3 mobile to virgin for my UMTS data. I already had a Novatel Merlin U530 card from three. The card isn't fantastic but it works pretty well at upto 384/64Kbps which is good enough for mail and feed reading (my main 2 activities on the train) or ssh.

When trying to get the card unlocked, 3 was less than helpful initially, which is pretty normal for them. Initially the operator told me that my card could not be unlocked, when I asked why I was told it was in my contract. When I read the contract I had signed to the operator I was put on hold. She came back and told me that it couldn't be unlocked, I told her it could as I had read online that it could. Then I hear in the background "just keep telling him it can't be unlocked". When I asked to speak to the person in the background telling her what to say she told me that there was no one telling her what to say. I told her I could hear the guy and that I wanted to either speak to the person or get their name so it could be included in a report to the TIO. I was again put on hold. About 1 minute later I was told that I would be transferred to data services.

After spending a little while on hold I got to speak to someone in data services. First they wanted to know why I wanted my card unlocked, I explained I could get a better deal elsewhere, to which the response was that I could talk to sales to see if there were any new offers available - I declined. Next I had to play 20 questions to make sure I was the account holder and that I was out of contract. After reading the IMEI code off the bottom of the card I was given the unlock code and told that I would be emailed the software - a zip file containing some Windows only application.

I had my content filtering too high so amavis bounced the message the first time. When I rung 3 back, at first 3 told me that I need to talk to my ISP as it was very strange that the message was bounced, I told them I would just use another account - my gmail account. The guy then told me that gmail bounces their messages, so we used my hotmail account.

So now I had the software, so I tried using XP under qemu to talk to the card for the unlocking, no luck. A few days later I borrowed a XP laptop from a friend. By now I had misplaced the unlock code. Back on the 3 merri go round, this time data services was happy to hand over the code. The operator waited on hold while I unlocked the card. I started the application, inserted the card, plugged in the unlock code and got the message confirming that the card was unlocked.

Later that day I tried using a vodafone SIM, no go. Another vodafone SIM no go. My Virgin SIM didn't work either. I tried using the unlock software which kept on erroring.

I thought going to a 3 store might get it fixed quickly. Basically I was told that as the card was out of warranty and I wasn't using a 3 SIM they wouldn't provide any support. The best I could do was pay for a firmware reload from a non authorised service centre.

Back to the 3 call centre merry-go-round. I explained that I was extremely close to lodging a TIO or Consumer Affairs complaint as the card useless and not working as advertised. I spoke to a helpful operator who told me he would escalate the job.

Over the weekend I spent a fair bit of time searching for answers. Eventually I ended up finding a list of AT+C modem commands. In the list was

AT+CLCK

which is for facility lock. I played with it a bit and found that network personalisation was still active, but no other locks were on. This seemed strange to me. I figured this is where my problem was.

This is how I unlocked my card. You must have a 3 (or locking carrier) SIM inserted in the card while attempting this.

I connected to the card using minicom by running the following in a terminal (I didn't need to be root).

minicom /dev/ttyS2
Minicom should then load and output something similar to this
Welcome to minicom 2.2

OPTIONS: I18n
Compiled on Mar  7 2007, 15:10:03.
Port /dev/ttyS2

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0
OK

I then entered

AT+CLCK=?

which should return

+CLCK: ("AB","AC","AG","AI","AO","IR","OI","OX","PN","SC")

OK

This is a list of locks available on the card.

Enter the following

AT+CLCK="PN",2

Which means, for network personalisation (PN), query the status (2), which should output

+CLCK: 1

OK

The 1 indicates locked.

You will need your unlock code from your carrier - I do not know how to get it other than via your carrier. This is not a "how to unlock your card with the unlock code" howto. So replace <CODE> with your unlock code.

AT+CLCK="PN",0,<CODE>

The 0 is for unlock. If it works should get OK or something, I forget exactly the response, but ERROR means it failed.

Now your card is unlocked and should work with any carrier.

Use [ctrl] x to quit minicom.

Enjoy!

If you need the settings details for using a Merlin U530 with Virgin Mobile in Australia under Linux try the following

/etc/ppp/peers/virgin
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/virgin"
debug
/dev/ttyS2
defaultroute
usepeerdns
ipcp-accept-remote
ipcp-accept-local
460800 crtscts
/etc/chatscripts/virgin
# ispauth chat
# abortstring
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELAYED
# modeminit
'' ATZ
#OK 'AT IPR=115200'
# Check SIM pin should return ready
OK-AT-OK "AT+CPIN?"
# Use either 3G or GPRS, remove comment to force 3G
#OK-AT-OK AT$NWRAT=0,2
# Setup AP name
OK-AT-OK 'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","VirginInternet"'
# Set PPP QoS info (I never saw the point of this)
#OK-AT-OK 'AT+CGEQREQ=3,3,64,384,0,0,2,0,"0E0","0E0",3,0,0'
# Attached to virgin network, will return 1
OK-AT-OK 'AT+CGATT?'
# create a ppp connection
OK-AT-OK 'ATD*99#'

post length

Russell Coker wrote:

What blog server are you using? Does it support the <!--more--> tag? If so putting the examples at the end of a long post such as this with the more tag splitting it would be a good idea to keep the feed size down.

Added Sun, 2007-06-10 11:14

Re: post length

Dave wrote:

I use drupal, which I thought uses <!--break-->. I will look into it. Sorry for the noise.

Added Mon, 2007-06-11 10:25

Thank you!

Thank you very much. I will try this. I got my unlock code SIX MONTHS ago and I am still waiting for my carrier to tell me how to use it ... This is now a pride issue ;). I'll get it. Which software do you use now with the pc-card?

Thanks again.

Added Sat, 2007-09-29 02:54

Software

Dave wrote:

I just use pppd which ships with most GNU/Linux distros. You should also be able to run it under Windows with a few tweaks. It should just show up as a serial modem.

Added Tue, 2007-10-02 22:54

RE: Software

IT Services wrote:

It will run under windows and does show as a Serial modem.

Cheers

Gerard

Added Wed, 2008-11-05 06:53

I know you use this card for

Jon wrote:

I know you use this card for general browsing, however I have the same card and would like to use it for recieving text messages, have you tried this?

Added Mon, 2009-03-02 23:25

Thanks for the post, old yet

Raúl wrote:

Thanks for the post, old yet really current. I only have a pointer about it, the unlock command syntax should be changed from: AT+CLCK="PN",0,<CODE> to: AT+CLCK="PN",0,"<CODE>" If I'm corrrect you only have 5 chances to unlock the terminal, so you'd rather be careful with the important command.

Thanks.

Added Thu, 2010-03-18 18:58

Novatel x870

lolek wrote:

Well, this solution also works on Novatel Merlin xu870 ...

Added Sun, 2010-04-25 21:01

I wanted to thank you for

Dylan wrote:

I wanted to thank you for this great read. Your blog is one of the finest blog . Thanks for posting this informative article. piloter helicoptere

Added Fri, 2010-12-03 02:00

Out of place ...

IT Support wrote:

I see that someone has already tested this method on another model. I'll push it a bit further and ask. Would you think this can actually be applied to non Novatel hardware ... maybe to USB broadband dongles?

Added Sat, 2010-12-25 03:50

RE: Out of place ...

Dave wrote:

It should work. The commands are part of the GSM standard.

Disclaimer: If you brick your device, don't blame/sue me.

Added Tue, 2010-12-28 02:12

It works !!!

Linktheworlds wrote:

This solution works perfect !! Thx

David

Added Thu, 2011-03-03 04:53

Drupal development company,Drupal development Services

DrupalNY wrote:

Drupal developmentDrupalny is providing all kind of Drupal development solutions with latest technology on affordable prices. Here you will get more knowledge about Drupal development services we are offering re various types of drupal services like Drupal Content Management Solution, Drupal Content Management System and Drupal Web Application Development.

Added Wed, 2012-12-19 21:35

Drupal development company,Drupal development Services

DrupalNY wrote:

will get more knowledge about Drupal development services we are offering here various types of drupal services like Drupal

Added Wed, 2012-12-19 21:36

AlvinLomma

AlvinLomma wrote:

la caja de pandora para niños pendientes estrella pandora pandora falsa charm de pandora anillos pandora precios charm pandora outlet pandora barcelona pulseras pandora rigidas pandora comunion charms imitacion pandora beret pandora letra abalorio pandora amistad angel pandora joyero pandora 2016 pandora software comprar pandora barato profesor layton y la caja de pandora descargar pulsera pandora corte ingles pulsera pandora precio pulseras de pandora baratas pandora disney españa abalorio pandora pandora mariposa maria pandora reloj pandora aliexpress pandora pulsera abalorios pandora grecia bolitas de pandora pandora charm disney precio pandora pulsera pandora completa la caja de pandora a nuestra vida otro sentío como limpiar pulsera pandora tiendas pandora en barcelona pulsera pandora azul pandora precio pandora magazine la caja de pandora online pulsera de pandora en el corte ingles comprar abalorios pandora nueva coleccion pandora charm buho pandora puzzle 12 profesor layton y la caja de pandora pandora voluntariado pandora arbol de la vida pandora anime play pandora showdown codigo descuento pandora cadena de seguridad pandora pandora anillo caja de pandora youtube puzzle 47 profesor layton y la caja de pandora el corte ingles pulsera pandora aliexpress pandora pandora grupo musical pandora y el holandés errante pandora disney charms españa xenon pandora tallas anillos pandora abalorios compatibles pandora pandora al congo coleccion disney pandora oferta pulsera pandora pandora tenerife pandora y prometeo abalorios de pandora pandora rigida pandora joyero abyss pandora hearts abalorios de pandora baratos outlet pandora madrid pulseras tipo pandora otras marcas superlopez la caja de pandora mito de pandora como limpiar la pulsera de pandora pandora dia de la madre 2016 pandora navidad 2015 pandora beret letra descargar profesor layton y la caja de pandora gargantillas pandora pulsera de pandora el corte ingles anillos de compromiso pandora pandora musica pandora azul anillos pandora el corte ingles brazalete pandora pandora filmaffinity pandora voluntariado internacional cierre seguridad pandora pandora pulsera precio corte ingles pandora imitacion elefante pandora anillos de pandora en el corte ingles pandora armband el corte ingles anillos pandora proyecto pandora nueva coleccion de pandora pandora shop online tienda oficial pandora pulsera pandora disney el capricho de pandora alianzas pandora profesor layton y la caja de pandora hamster corte ingles pandora reloj de pandora ojo turco pandora arbol de la vida pandora anillos pandora corte ingles la estrella de pandora pandora mito colgantes de pandora pulsera rigida pandora anillo lazo pandora anillo corazones pandora pandora plenilunio piezas pulsera pandora tienda pandora madrid pulsera pandora niña operación pandora ong pandora la pluma de pandora pandora copo de nieve pandora madre pandora anillos de compromiso caja de pandora tienda online descuento pandora pulsera pandora el corte ingles pandora disney el corte ingles bolas pandora charms pandora outlet pandora oro pulseras pandora el corte ingles pulsera tipo pandora pandora el corte ingles anillos pandora joyería collares de pandora pandora pulsera original pandora charms familia pulsera pandora hombre comprar charms pandora shop pandora abalorios pandora amazon cuentas pandora mito de pandora resumen corto pandora para hombre el profesor layton y la caja de pandora descargar pulseras tipo pandora baratas pc pandora charm pandora corte ingles pandora gestión documental andorraqshop pandora cierre de seguridad pandora imitacion pandora plata caja de pandora mitologia griega operacion pandora el profesor layton y la caja de pandora rom pandora mirabilia comprar pandora online tiendas pandora valencia pulsera pandora oferta pandora sevilla este descargar pandora recovery full español + crack ofertas pandora original pandora corte ingles la caja de pandora mitologia griega pandora primavera 2016 pandora hearts wikipedia cancion anuncio pandora pandora pamplona pandora recovery portable imitacion pandora pandora-europe la caja de pandora tiendas pandora navidad 2016 pulseras pandora precios y modelos profesor layton y la caja de pandora te pulseras de plata pandora puzzle 92 profesor layton y la caja de pandora pulsera pandora imitacion leyenda de pandora pandora segunda mano pandora outlet online charms pandora segunda mano profesor layton y la caja de pandora camara replica pulsera pandora pandora bolsa pandora charms uk pandora colgante argynnis pandora pendiente pandora pandora pelicula coreana la caixa de pandora

Added Tue, 2017-12-19 14:53

AlvinLomma

AlvinLomma wrote:

Added Tue, 2017-12-19 14:54

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.